Feature Articles: Credit
You can reprint these articles in your newsletter, magazine or website.
- Avoiding Tax Relief Scams
Cautions consumers about tax relief companies that claim they can reduce or even eliminate your tax debts and stop back-tax collection by applying for IRS hardship programs. Lists federal resources for legitimate tax help programs.
- Consumers Are Eligible For Free Credit Reports [PDF]
Learn how to get a free copy of your credit report from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies once every twelve months.
- Dealing With Debt Collectors [PDF]
Explains the rules debt collectors must obey when trying to collect on personal, family, and household debts.
- Deceptive Mortgage Ads: What They Leave Out [PDF]
Learn how to recognize mortgage offers that may be less than complete.
- Giving The Bounce To Counterfeit Check Scams [PDF]
How to recognize, avoid, and report counterfeit check scams.
- Mortgage Servicing: Making Your Payments Count [PDF]
The Federal Trade Commission wants you to know what a mortgage servicer does and what your rights are.
- Prescreened Offers Of Credit And Insurance [PDF]
The Federal Trade Commission wants you to know how prescreening works, what opting out means, and how to opt out, if you decide to do so.
- Private Student Loans: How to Spot Deceptive Offers [PDF]
How to spot potentially deceptive claims or business practices some private companies may use to get your student loan business.
- Protect Yourself From Credit Repair Scams [PDF]
Warns consumers that no one can remove accurate negative information from your credit report. Offers tip-offs to rip-offs.
- Recognizing Foreclosure Rescue Scams [PDF]
Explains how various foreclosure rescue scams work, and where consumers can find legitimate help.
- Settling Your Credit Card Debts [PDF]
Lists options for help in managing your debt, including dealing with your creditors directly and contacting a credit counselor. What to watch out for from companies that promise to settle your debt.
- Your Credit Score Helps Determine What You’ll Pay For Credit And Insurance [PDF]
Explains the system creditors and insurance companies use to help determine whether to grant you credit or insurance, and on what terms.